!Header Content 1

Southlake Animal Hospital
Give us a call today! 219-942-0909
Call us today! 219-942-0909

3570 E. Lincoln Hwy
Merrillville, IN 46410

Fetch an Appointment!

Organic Food For Pets

September 1 2023

September is Organic Month. As you may know, here at Southlake, we offer both holisitic and modern veterinary medicine. One element of holistic care is limiting the amount of chemicals and toxins one is exposed to. When it comes to diet, choosing organic food can also be very beneficial. A local Crown Point, IN vet offers some insight on organic pet food below.

What Are The Benefits Of Organic Pet Food? 

Organic food holds many of the same benefits for pets as it does for people. It often packs more of a nutritional punch than commercial food. For instance, it may contain higher amounts of antioxidants. You also won’t have to worry about your pet ingesting harmful chemicals or hormones that are often used in commercial farming. 

What are the 3 Kinds Of Organic Dog Food?

The USDA has divided organic products into three different categories. Something labeled 100 percent organic is, as one would expect, made entirely with organic ingredients. Something that is labeled ‘organic’ must contain at least 95 percent organic ingredients. Products must be at least 95 percent organic to have that ‘certified organic’ seal. You may also see foods labeled as ‘made with organic ingredients’. These must contain at least 70 percent organic ingredients. The remaining 30 percent must follow strict guidelines, and cannot contain GMO’s.

What Are The Downsides Of Organic Pet Food?

There are a few cons to consider here. The biggest one is cost. According to Dog Food Advisor, organic dog food generally costs about 23% more than regular kind. However, some brands may cost as much as 40% more. There are valid reasons for this. Organic food is typically grown on small farms, who don’t have the economic benefits or subsidies as large-scale commercial farms. The other downsides to organic food? It may spoil faster, and can be harder to find.

What Is A Mistake In Feeding Organic Pet Food?

In general, the biggest mistake you could make in offering organic food—or any other kind of food—would offering your pet food that’s inappropriate for their age, weight, and health. It’s also worth mention that you should never feed a dog or cat a vegan or vegetarian diet. This is actually very dangerous. Fido and Fluffy’s diets should be based mostly on meat, supplemented with safe, suitable grains and produce. Ask your vet for specific nutirtional advice.

Do you have questions about your pet’s diet? Contact us, your Crown Point, IN animal clinic, today!