!Header Content 1

Southlake Animal Hospital

3570 E. Lincoln Hwy
Merrillville, IN 46410

Halloween Safety Tips for Pet Owners

October 15 2015

Halloween and trick-or-treat night are creeping up at the end of this month. Don’t let the holiday turn into a real-life nightmare because of a pet emergency! Use these tips from a Crown Point, IN veterinarian to keep your furry friend safe this Halloween:

Keep an Eye on the Treats

Chocolate and candy treats are found in droves this time of year. Remember: chocolate and candy are very toxic to pets, even in small amounts. This is because of chemicals called theobromine (found in chocolate) and xylitol (which is often used as a sweetener in candy and gum). Never let your pet anywhere near the treat bowl, because a trip to the emergency room may be in your future if your pet decides to chow down.

Careful with Costumes

Your pet sure will look adorable in his or her very own Halloween costume. Keep in mind, though, that not all pets take kindly to wearing clothes; don’t stress your pet out just for the sake of appearances. Also, check the costume to make sure it doesn’t have any small parts that could be chewed off, swallowed, and choked on.

Escape Hazard

Trick-or-treat night can be dangerous for our animal companions. For one, they may be stressed out by the doorbell ringing constantly. Secondly, they may try to escape out of the often-opened front door. If your pet becomes agitated or may attempt an escape, it’s best to keep them secured elsewhere until trick-or-treat is over.

Candles and Jack-o-Lanterns

Candles and jack-o-lanterns are common holiday sights, but remember that the open flames of these items can present a hazard. It’s very easy for pets to accidentally swipe a tail or paw into them, burning themselves or—equally frightening—starting a fire. Make sure items with an open flame are placed out of your pet’s reach to avoid any risk.

Halloween Decorations

Be sure to tape down the electrical wires of light-up ghosts or plastic jack-o-lanterns, as pets can get tangled or chew on these. Also beware of common autumn decorative plants, like pumpkins, gourds, and fall corn—these aren’t toxic, but enough of any foreign substance can make a pet sick if they eat too much. If your pet is the nibbler type, place these items far out of reach.

Want more holiday safety tips before Halloween and trick-or-treat night arrive? Contact your Crown Point, IN veterinary clinic for additional help.

!Single Blog You Might Also Like

You might also like

Doggy Paw Care Tips

Your dog’s paws are crucial to his health and well-being. Fido’s furry little feet are,…
Read More

How to read a dog or cat food label

How to read a dog or cat food label Do you have any questions about…
Read More

Parakeet Care Tips

Have you decided to get a pet parakeet? Parakeets, or budgies, are among the most…
Read More
1 60 61 62 63