Have Your Pet Avoid These Seasonal Hazards

Autumn is here! This season brings with it a few pet hazards for you to be aware of—fortunately, it just takes awareness and a few simple precautions to keep Fido or Fluffy safe. Learn more from a Crown Point, IN veterinary professional.

Pesticides

Veterinarians typically see an increase in pesticide- and rodenticide-related poisonings during the fall season. That’s because as the weather cools down, we tend to set up these products in and around our homes to ward off intruding insects or rodents. Don’t forget that such substances can prove poisonous to our companion animals as well as the pests they kill! Place pesticides carefully, and consider non-toxic alternative methods if your pet is the curious type.

Wild Animals

Some outdoor critters, like raccoons and opossums, may be more active during the fall; keep a close eye on your pet to make sure they don’t encounter each other. Snakes are another common offender. Since they are preparing for hibernation in the autumn, they tend to be extra grumpy this time of year. A pet who accidentally disturbs a snake may get a painful bite, so don’t let your pet explore thick shrubbery or tall grasses without close supervision.

Antifreeze

As the weather cools down, some car owners will begin adding antifreeze to their car engines. Antifreeze may contain a very hazardous chemical known as ethylene glycol; it’s a type of alcohol that’s very poisonous to animals, and its sweet smell and taste may even attract pets. Use antifreeze with extreme caution, and store it carefully where your pet can’t reach.

Back-to-School Supplies

Do you have young children who have recently returned to school? Keep in mind that various school supplies—glue sticks, markers, scissors, erasers, pencils and pens, etc.—can prove harmful to pets who manage to swallow them. Don’t leave school supplies lying about on the floor where a pet may decide to play.

Wild Mushrooms

The vast majority of wild mushrooms aren’t toxic, but it’s not worth the risk to your animal companion. Have your pet avoid any and all mushrooms you see growing outdoors. Even benign mushroom varieties can cause an upset stomach, and they may have been sprayed with fertilizers or pesticide products that you don’t want your pet ingesting.

From all of us here at your Crown Point, IN veterinarian’s office: Happy Autumn! Contact us for all of your most important pet care needs.